To further investigate the character of the wind, our next assignment was to create wind drawing machine. I called mine a “Wind Translation Machine” instead as it translate the intensity of the wind into another form we can see. The machine I created was based off an anemometer which is a device that measures wind speed. Utilizing galvanized steel wire, I molded the framework for the machine. I twisted these wires around small $2.00 milk bottles that I cut in half. What I was left with were cups that could capture the wind. The network of wires attached to three of these cups created the pinwheel aspect of the anemometer. I wanted the machine to recreate drawings that had more depth than just simple circular rotations. To achieve this, the anemometer was attached to a fishing line buoy which sat snuggly into the cut off bottom of a standard soda can. The addition of lubricant I took from a workout machine helped to reduce the friction between the two parts. Now the anemometer had a different dimension to it. It didn’t just rotate in place. It could now wobble on an axis as well. The wires connecting the cups extended through the buoy and downwards towards a based board where it wrapped around a felt marker. The base board had a sheet of paper on it. For the first few trial tests, I placed the Wind Translation Machine outside in various locations from the side of the highway to the foot of the hillsides near Cal Poly Pomona. I noticed that it kept getting stuck after a few rotations. To remedy this, I added a spring that went between the marker and the rigid wireframe. This allowed for the marker to recoil when it got stuck. Now the drawings continue as long as the wind was blowing. At night, I attached LED lights to it to allow for the wind to be translated to light.